martes, 3 de abril de 2012

Arch/Matheos - Sympatethic Resonance Review

I must admit that I completely underestimated this album, and that is coming from a Fates Warning fan. I don't know what was I thinking: I wanted it to be good, but something in my subconscious told me that it was going to be bad or not that good. Especially since Jim Matheos hasn't been part of a big project for a long LONG time, except for OSI that I don't like very much. The last album with Fates Warning was in 2004 and Twist of Fate with John Arch was in 2003. The same with John Arch, no, John Arch was in worse conditions, he hasn't made an album since his Fates Warning years in 1986  and an EP in 2003.  I was exited by the idea of the album but skeptical at the same time.

Man that I was so SO wrong

[caption id="attachment_190" align="alignnone" width="300"] Shelter me my asylum, SHELTEEEER MEE[/caption]

Sympathetic Resonance is easily the most balanced Progressive Metal album that I've heard in years. This is Progressive Metal at it's purest state. All the pieces fit together incredibly. The solos, the harmonies, the vocals, the lyrics, the drums, everything fits perfectly and it feels natural, they're not trying to be pretentious, they're not desperately trying to do new things. They just stick with their true genre and did what they do best. This album made me remember why I used to call Jim Matheos the Father of Progressive Metal.

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="220"] That's right, The FATHER of Progressive Metal[/caption]

He truly is, and now I can say it without any doubt. I said that this album is Progressive Metal at it's purest state because if you listen to it, is Heavy Metal with Progressive arrangements and structures, that was what Progressive Metal was all about in the beginning. No synthesizer, No overlong keyboards solos, No woaaa woaaaa (cauf cauf Rudess cauf), No symphonic theatrical sounds. Just two amazing guitarist, one of the greatest bass players ever, a bad ass drummer,  and an incredible singer who's voice  is still in perfect shape after all this years.

I was completely amazed of Arch voice, it has change, but now is way more unique , it still has that Bruce Dickinson feel but more high and operatic than ever.

This is the song that made me fall in love with Arch's voice, amazing song







His style is still intact and his voice has change for the better







I said that this album is balanced because all the songs are perfect, there are no bad, slow or transitional songs, all of them are solid, bad ass, with unique and original riffs and solos, great lyrics and if you were a fan of Progressive Metal in the mid 80's it'll definitely throw you back.

I completely love this album, I think that possibly is going to become one of my favorite albums of all time. This project was amazing and I'm so exited of what they're going to do next. I heard that a new Fates Warning album is going to be release this year :D and after this I just can't wait.

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="400"] 7 years guys, 7 years[/caption]

I don't know of this is going to become a Black Sabbath / Heaven or Hell thing. When they are with Alder is going to be Fates Warning and when they are with Arch is going to be Arch/Matheos? Jejejeje I really don't know.

Too bad that Mark Zonder is not in any of these projects :(

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="450"] Where are you hiding Mark ?[/caption]

Bottom line, the album is absolutely amazing and you must check it out, fresh Progressive Metal at it's finest.

[caption id="attachment_191" align="aligncenter" width="300"] And another thing, if you absolutely hated this album, you just don't like Progressive Metal, I'm sorry but is as simple as that.[/caption]

Here are two amazing songs of the album:

On The Fence







Any Given Day (Strangers Like Me)







Thanks for reading.

0 comentarios:

Publicar un comentario