domingo, 2 de septiembre de 2012

Dream Theater - When A Dream And Day Unite (Album Review)

So, we start this series of reviews with the very first DT album: "When A Dream And Day Unite". Which is their most underrated album of them all and... maybe I'm alone on this but , its possibly one of their best albums ever too.



"When a dream" is actually an amazing album but not a lot of people and not a lot of fans seem to recognize it as such, but why is it? Well I think there are several reasons for this: WDADU is the band's most different album of them all, especially since James Labrie is not part of it. I'm sure when a lot of people hear the voice of Charles Dominici in this album they say: "What the hell?" "This singer doesn't fit with the band", "they sound nothing like their later records", "they never play any of the songs of this album in their concerts so why bother?". And they're right in all of the above. Charles Dominici didn't fit quite well with the band and that was the reason why he got fired, I wouldn't say that they sound nothing like their later records, their songs are a little rawer than I&W and Awake, but their style is there. And yes, they almost never play any of the songs of this album on tour, but despite of all that; if you see this album as a complete standalone 80's rock/metal work then you'll find out that its an amazing album and you should give it a listen.



I wouldn't call WDADU one the most original albums that I know, the influences of Rush and Iron Maiden are present trough out every song of the album. Basically their whole style is just an amalgamation of these two. But its a beautiful combination indeed. It's also really interesting and amazing the type of compositions that they were already able to create in this early stage of their career, that's when you realize that they virtuosic skills go back to the days when they were basically teenagers.

Another thing that this album has (which is something that I cannot say about other DT albums) is the fact that is really solid, consistent and fluent.  The only weak moment of the album (at least for me) is "The Killing Hand" which is the band's first attempt in creating a narrative epic, but is truly my less favorite song of the album.

The album also has a great dark atmosphere and we have Kevin Moore to thank for that, songs like: "Status Seeker", "The Ones Who Help To Set The Sun" and "Only A Matter of Time". Have an amazing vibe and tune, a little bit melancholic but really beautiful. 


I think that the main problem that this album had, was that it came out too late, 1989. Honestly that was a late year for releasing music of this style, bands like Iron Maiden started to fade away from public attention and bands like Rush had to change their style in order to survive and Heavy Metal itself was in the moment of decline. If WDADU would have been released in 1985, I'm sure that it would have been a blast.

A great album in the wrong time :(

But a great album indeed! and you should definitively check it out, specially if you're a fan of Rush, Iron Maiden or Dream Theater. Just imaging Iron Maiden and Rush playing together with Geddy Lee on vocals.













Thanks for reading :)

1 comentario:

  1. Hahaha I died laughing cause I love the Killing Hand and then you called it the weakest link. I was like "NO!" I agree though. Totally underrated album! The opening to "The Ones Who Help To Set The Sun" is so EPIC! How this escaped my top hundred albums of all time I'll never know... Too bad I cant redo my list now! Cant wait to read your next DT review!

    ResponderEliminar